To ensure the best possible experience with the RoadSave app, please reference your device's troubleshooting guide for monitoring trips:
Open the app and check the Dashboard screen
The RoadSave app will list warning messages on the dashboard screen should the app and/or device settings prevent trips from being detected. Simply follow the prompts to ensure trip monitoring performs optimally.
Are Location Services "On" for RoadSave?
You can verify your location settings as follows:
- on iOS by going to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services (On) > RoadSave > Always
- Important - iOS 11 now allows the option to only use location services when an app is in use which will prevent RoadSave from monitoring trips consistently. Please ensure your location services for RoadSave are set to Always as selecting While in Use will prevent automatic trip monitoring.
- on Android by going to: Settings > Security & Location > Location > On
- Important - "High Accuracy" mode is required on Android. You can check if it's on by going to Settings > Security & Location > Location > Mode > High Accuracy
Is Motion & Fitness authorised for RoadSave (iOS)?
You can verify your Motion & Fitness settings as follows:
- on iOS go to: Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > RoadSave > Enabled
- Important - trip monitoring will not work on devices that does not support Motion & Fitness. On iOS 11 (and later versions), Motion & Fitness has to be enabled in order for trip monitoring to work.
Is Storage permission allowed for RoadSave (Android)?
You can verify your Storage permissions as follows:
- on Android go to: Settings > Apps > RoadSave > Permissions > Storage > Enabled
- Important - trip monitoring will not work if Storage Permission has not been enabled.
Have you force-quit RoadSave?
Force-Quitting is done by double-clicking the center iPhone button (iPhone 8 or earlier), swiping up from the bottom edge of the screen (iPhone X), or square Android button and swiping the RoadSave app/icon off the screen. On many versions of iOS and Android, all trip monitoring will stop if you do so. Please keep RoadSave running in the background of your device so that it can record your trips.
Is your device restricting background data, app, or battery usage?
Some default settings/apps on Android devices are designed to automatically shut down apps and will prevent RoadSave's trip monitoring from running in the background of your device. This can cause gaps in your trip history, but is easily prevented. Use this helpful guide to determine why you're missing trips in Android: Why am I missing trips in Android?
- Third-party apps on iOS and Android that attempt to be Memory boosting, Data compression, task-killing, battery-saving, anti-virus or app management apps can interfere with RoadSave. Please disable them (or add RoadSave to the third-party app's Whitelist or Ignore List) to see if trip monitoring improves.
To ensure that RoadSave is not suspended from running in the background, please consider regularly opening the mobile app.
Opening the mobile app regularly prevents the app from being shutdown without your knowledge by any app/battery optimising settings.
- on iOS, your iPhone will occasionally ask "RoadSave Has Been Using Your Location In The Background. Do You Want to Continue Allowing This?" In order for RoadSave to monitor trips, you must choose "Continue" to this prompt. Selecting "Don't Allow" will disable location services and RoadSave will not monitor trips.
Is Wi-Fi enabled?
Your mobile device uses the hotspot proximity to register location information. Wi-Fi is far more efficient on batteries than other location sources like GPS. You can turn on Wi-Fi by going to Settings > Wi-Fi > On. Trip Monitoring is greatly improved with Wi-Fi enabled.
Is Background App Refresh/Data "On" for RoadSave?
You can verify your background refresh/data settings:
- on iOS by going to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > RoadSave > On
- on iOS by going to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data > RoadSave > On
- on Android by going to Settings > Wireless & networks > Data usage > Cellular data > On
- on Android, from both the Data Usage Menu icon (this can look different depending on device) and the RoadSave icon under App usage, make sure "Restrict background data" is unchecked. Additionally, if you’ve set a cellular data limit, make sure that you have not crossed it recently.
Are you running the latest version of your device's OS?
Having the most up-to-date operating system on your phone will provide the latest features to support and protect background apps like RoadSave.
You can update your device's OS:
- on iOS by going to Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install
- on Android by going to Settings > System > About phone > System updates
Are you running the latest version of RoadSave?
We are constantly improving RoadSave and having the latest version will ensure optimal performance.
You can update your version of RoadSave, if needed:
- on iOS by going to App Store > Updates > RoadSave > Update
- on Android by going to Play Store > Settings (at the top left) > My apps > RoadSave > Update
Are you logged into your account?
Make sure you’re signed in to the RoadSave app and using the correct email address.
View Completed Trips
We suggest that you regularly open the app to view the last trips monitored.