Road Safety Statistics
Modified on: Mon, 2 Sep, 2019 at 9:34 PM
- Each year, 1.3 million people die and 50 million are seriously injured on our roads.
- Road fatalities & injuries is a major global health problem costing developing countries more than 100 Billion dollars per year.
- The United Nations declared 2011-2020 as the Decade of Action for Road Safety, identifying post-crash response as a key pillar.
South African Statistics
- An average of 47 people die on our roads every day.
- For every person that dies, 85 are admitted for treatment at a medical facility.
- You have a 1 out of 98 chance to be in a car crash in your lifetime.
- South Africa is one of the world’s most dangerous countries in which to drive.
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.